Saturday, November 05, 2011

Sound Installation, The Old Truman Brewery, Brick Lane, London 2011











During 2010/11 I completed an MA in Design for Interactive Media which enables me to create interactive environments. This new direction integrates and extends my practice in fine art and theatre adding the new (for me) dimension of sound. The MA was largely practical but had a theory and context dimension to it which, to my surprise, I thoroughly enjoyed. Early on in the year I decided to link both of these elements together so that the dissertation informed the exhibited work and the work was a physical extension of the dissertation. I hope you enjoy and I would appreciate any constructive comments.
Each of the pieces is represented in a section of the essay and I would also contend that the essay is given an auditory, tactile and spatial presence in the exhibition. In Forbidden Fruit  I wanted to explore the issues of the sacred. What are the cultural associations I have ‘learnt’? What are the ‘triggers’ that make me re-experience that part of my life? How can this be communicated to others? The piece Shipbuilding, is concerned with the way in which the sounds of the industrial past become part of the culture/heritage industry. Beach Memorial, is a stage in the development of a series called Memorials, concerning private interventions into public space. Common to each is the use of sound as a trigger and carrier of meaning to invoke memory, location and time. Each box and its contents are carefully chosen to underpin the story conveyed by the sound. For example, the apple, the resonating sound of the organ, the faded gold box with red satin lining, all working together to tell of my experience of aspects of religion. Of concern also was the scale of the sound in relation to the box. Giving a sense of architectural space and location through sound in a neutral gallery was a particular issue I was dealing with as was allowing the participant to interact with the objects and bring their own experience and understanding to complete the story. 

The Images are as follows;

1, Forbidden Fruit https://soundcloud.com/artrum/forbidden-fruit-1
2, Forbidden Fruit
3, Shipbuilding  https://soundcloud.com/artrum/shipbuilding-1
4, Shipbuilding (detail)
5, Beach Memorial https://soundcloud.com/artrum/beach-memorial-3a
6, Beach Memorial (detail)
7, Installation 1
8, Installation 2

Technical Specifications;
mixed media, boxes, suitcase, clothing, headphones, Arduino, Processing, macbooks x 3

Please refer to 

http://artrumtoo.blogspot.com/


for information about my fine art practice.

No comments: